What Is Juvederm?
Life is meant to be joyful and freeing. You should be able to smile and laugh as much as and as long as you want without the worry of dreaded “laugh lines.”
Juvederm Ultra Plus XS and Juvederm Ultra XC can help you do that while preserving the youthfulness of your skin. These injectable fillers temporarily fill out facial folds and wrinkles to give you a natural smooth look, especially around the corners of your nose and mouth, which are called nasolabial folds.
Some patients use Juvederm Ultra Plus XS and Juvederm Ultra XC to plump their lips as well. It’s the hyaluronic acid in the solutions that effective plump and smooth lips.
Treatments last for up to one year. They contain preservative-free lidocaine. This numbing component of Juvederm Ultra Plus XC and Juvederm Ultra XC ensure patient comfort throughout the treatment session.
Interested in eliminating “laugh lines,” but not sure which Juvederm is right for you? Juvederm Ultra Plus XC has larger particles, which can help patients with deep folds and wrinkles, while Juvederm Ultra XC has smaller particles. Only an experienced cosmetic specialist can help you decide which filler is best for you.
Browse these before and after pictures of some of our patients. Notice the natural results of Juvederm Ultra Plus XC and Juvederm Ultra XC, and then call us for a free consultation at our medical spa in Brea, Woodland Hills, Redondo Beach, Rancho Palos Verdes, San Pedro and Los Angeles.
Juvederm Ultra Plus XC and Juvederm Ultra XC are both injectable fillers designed to temporarily fill out facial folds and wrinkles, particularly “laugh lines” (called nasolabial folds) that run between the corners of the nose and mouth. Juvederm can also be used to add fullness into the lips. The hyaluronic acid in the injected gel helps plump up and smooth out lips, folds and wrinkles for up to one year. Both Juvederm Ultra Plus XC and Juvederm Ultra XC contain 0.3% preservative-free lidocaine and numb the treatment area within seconds for patient comfort.
The difference between Juvederm Ultra XC and Juvederm Ultra Plus XC is the size of the particles. Juvederm Ultra Plus XC has a larger particle size while Juvederm Ultra has a smaller particle size.
What precautions should my doctor advise me about?
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding. The safety of these products for use during pregnancy or while breastfeeding has not been studied
- The safety of JUVÉDERM® XC and JUVÉDERM® Ultra XC injectable gels in patients under 18 years, and the safety of JUVÉDERM VOLUMA® XC in patients under 35 years or over 65 years has not been studied
- The safety and effectiveness of JUVÉDERM® XC for areas other than facial wrinkles and folds, and JUVÉDERM® Ultra XC for areas other than the lips and perioral area for lip augmentation, or facial wrinkles and folds, have not been established in clinical studies
- The safety and effectiveness of JUVÉDERM VOLUMA® XC in areas other than the cheek area have not been established in clinical studies
- Tell your doctor if you have a history of excessive scarring (eg, hypertrophic scarring and keloid formations) or pigmentation disorders, as use of these products may result in additional scars or changes in pigmentation
- Tell your doctor if you are planning other laser treatments or a chemical peel, as there is a possible risk of inflammation at the treatment site if these procedures are performed after treatment
- Patients who experience skin injury near the site of injection with these products may be at a higher risk for side effects
- Tell your doctor if you are on immunosuppressive therapy used to decrease the body’s immune response, as use of these products may result in an increased risk of infection
- Tell your doctor if you are using medications that can prolong bleeding, such as aspirin, ibuprofen, or other blood thinners, as this may result in increased bruising or bleeding at the injection site
- Minimize strenuous exercise, exposure to extensive sun or heat, and alcoholic beverages within the first 24 hours following treatment
What are possible side effects?
The most common side effects include tenderness, swelling, firmness, lumps/bumps, bruising, pain, redness, discoloration, and itching. With JUVÉDERM® XC and JUVÉDERM® Ultra XC injectable gels, most side effects are mild or moderate and last 14 days or less. For JUVÉDERM VOLUMA® XC, side effects are moderate (uncomfortable) and last 2 to 4 weeks.One of the risks with using this product is unintentional injection into a blood vessel, and while rare, the complications can be serious and may be permanent. These complications, which have been reported for facial injections, can include vision abnormalities, blindness, stroke, temporary scabs, or permanent scarring.As with all skin injection procedures, there is a risk of infection.